Sunday, December 4, 2011

Meditation Monday: Overcoming


With gentleness overcome anger.
With generosity overcome meanness,
With truth overcome deceit.
~The Dhammapada of Gautama the Buddha. CA. 500BC~


Anger contains energy.  You cannot simply throw it away.  It is your energy.  Throwing it away will make you weak.  Energies are not to be thrown away, but to be transformed.  Let your anger be transformed into gentleness.  It is an alchemical process -- it is not morality, it is alchemy.  It is the science of the soul.  Through meditation, anger slowly disappears, and its energy becomes available and becomes gentleness.

You will be surprised to know that if you suffer from great anger you have great potentiial for gentleness.  Anger simply shows that you have great energy.  A man without anger is impotent, he has no energy.  A man who cannot be angry cannot be gentl either.  Don't repress meanness, don't destroy meanness, but with generosity transform it into a generous consciousness, into sharing.

3 comments:

mybabyjohn/Delores said...

As an almost perpetually angry person these days, I appreciate these thoughts and will work on them.

goddessandmagick said...

I have the same Buddha!! thanks for remind us abut energy and anger!!

Hippy Jersey Devil said...

I've also learned in my travels that anger is the easiest emotion for me to fully embrace without feeling vulnerable. It's my go to. Once I realized this, now I catch myself and am, day by day, working on that.