Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Meditation Monday: Giddy and Distracted


Sutra:  Death overtakes the man who, giddy and distracted by the world, cares only for his flock and his children.  Death fetches him away as a flood carries off a sleeping village.  ~The Dhammapada of Gautama the Buddha. CA 500 B.C.~

Remember death.  Remember death always.  Never forget death for a single moment.  Why?  Why is Buddha so much interested in death? -- for the simple reason that it is only death that can keep you aware.  If you forget death you will become immediately unconscious.  It is because of death that only man can become enlightened and no other animal, because no other animal is aware of death.  It is only man who is aware of death.

Let this awareness become more and more penetrating.  Let it sink in your heart, so it remains there like a thorn, continuously reminding you that life is a shifting sand, that "Don't make your house here.  Remember death is coming and whatsoever you do will be undone by death, so what is the point of becoming so much worried, becoming so much concerned, remaining in such anxiety when death is going to take everything away?"

So....here we are...another death card this week.  A sign of a huge transformation on the horizon....I've got some plans for the New Moon to help release some of the mental, emotional and spiritual baggage that has massed up over the past few weeks.  It should be an interesting process.  I'm buckling myself in and preparing for the ride.....who wants to come with me??

4 comments:

J Annie Finland said...

I'm good....No fancy rides for me thanks...LOL...don't forget to cut cords before you release, or it always come back to you. Much Love Always!!

Dark Mother said...

I'm having my cut the ties that bind me Ritual this evening. It's going to be a powerful evening for both of us.

Texan Zombie Goddess said...

I have had such a feeling of unrest lately. Maybe I need to take a seat beside you. Vroom vroom!

Dreaming of Jeanie said...

Pick me! Pick me! :) I needed to hear this today. I've been worrying too much about finances the last couple of weeks. I'm excited to find out what this huge transition will be!