Monday, June 13, 2011

Meditation Monday: Do Your Work

Pic found here.

Sutra:  Live in love.  Do your work.  Make an end of your sorrows.  ~The Dhammapada of Gautama the Buddha. CA.  500 BC~

Unless you do the work that is close to your heart you will remain unfulfilled.  And the meditator finds immediately what his work is.  The meditator finds intrinsically that this is his work; he does not have to think about it.  It is so clear and so loud that he knows that he has to be a musician or he has to be a poet or he has to be this or that.  It comes so clear that there is no question of doubt.  And then he starts working; that work is his meditation.

Do what you love people...do what you love.  And if you're not doing what you love...why not?  What stands between you and happiness in what you do? 

I currently work in a pet store...and while I like my job...it is in no way what I want to do for the rest of my life.  I have become (especially lately) disenchanted with my job.  There is actually a part of me that loathes it.  Why haven't I left yet...well, a few reasons.  I'm sure they will all ring a bell with you.....my husband decided that our marriage was over so I'm now living on less income (despite the fact that he's paying bills), I am a single mom again (despite that fact we have a "village" of people to help if needed....I don't ask unless desperate), I lack a college degree so I can't really get any higher than what I am until I get off my ass and do something and last, but certainly not least, I had no clear idea of what direction I wanted my life to go in for the longest time.

That is until a week or so ago....when I went to New Mexico to visit my family and pick up the kidlet.  I was standing outside with my sister, chatting with her and looking at the stars.  It hit me.....kinda like one of the stars just fell out and walloped me upside the head.  I've decided that I want to be a Science Teacher.  At first I thought maybe I was just bedazzled at all the stars in the night sky...you don't see that in the city ya'll....so I slept on it.  Well....I didn't sleep well at all.  Between a pain in my tooth (another story) and the prospect of finally doing something with my life; I was way too antsy to really get any sleep.  I promptly told my mom in the morning and she is uber-excited.  Although, I think she's more pleased with the fact that her oldest child has finally decided to be constructive with her life.  LOL.  Either way though.....this is what I want to do...it feels right :)  Bonus...I get weekends, holidays and all sorts of time off throughout the year.  Time to spend pursuing my passions...or grading papers or attending workshops...you know, whatever.  LOL

What do you want to be when you grow up??

6 comments:

SushiQ said...

I want to be an art teacher when I grow up.

Remember: It is never to late to be what you might have been.--TS Eliot.

Follow your dream!!!

Kirsta said...

Thank you thank you thank you for this post. I'm currently looking for a job, and while I'm looking at "day jobs", at least for a while, I've recently come to the conclusion that there are other paths for me. I want my writing to be a larger part of my life. I want to offer my skills as a Tarot reader and herbalist, and I want to keep my house! Thank you again for a well-timed reminder that we are meant to be who we are.

Penny said...

I honestly don't know. I know I am happiest when I am working out in my garden and doing beadwork, but neither will pay lol. I am an interpreter for the Deaf, and while I love to sign, it isn't where I feel lead anymore. This past school year I worked as a noon aide at one of our local elementary schools. I love working and teaching kids, but filling ketchup cups, um, no lol.

What do I want to be when I grow up?

Sane.

That would work.

Blessings on your journey into teacherhood!

\IiiI

Ms Lilypads said...

Honey, science is an excellent choice! With the expansion of technology, which allows us to discover how our universe works, the opportunities are endless. Science can take you to the very stars!

As for me, I'm an assistant video editor. I edit chemistry lecture videos. I would love to work as an artist and writer on the side. I'd also like to videotape and edit tapes featuring folks involved in women's spirituality and involved in herbs.

Dreaming of Jeanie said...

A college professor and traveling writer. Or at least a writer who can afford to travel. I would settle for that. First step--start spending less so I have more money to pay off my debts. Second step--get my debt to the University paid so they will release my transcripts. Third step....well, I'm still working on the first two! Find out what the first steps are and get to work on them like a madwoman. Go chase your dreams, girl!

Dark Mother said...

Awesome for you girl! It is always so invigorating when we step foot on a new path.

What do I want to be when I grow up? Sane.