Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sweet Memories 1

As Samhain approaches I am thinking more and more about the people that I have loved and lost in years past. I want to share a few memories I have of them. I wish I had pictures to share of some of them...they were beautiful and wonderful people.

First and foremost...My Grandfather.

Oscar Rudy Walker. He was always like a living version of Santa Claus for me :) The man was awesome.

He was the guy who used to sing Puff the Magic Dragon to me after making up stories for me when I slept over at his house.
He would sit on the floor with me and play with my Barbie dolls and eat Double Stuf Oreos.
We would go shopping at the mall together and he would buy me new clothes for my Barbies.
We watched Saturday morning cartoons together.
We would walk his black lab, Pepper, together every evening. There was an abandoned amusement park near his house and we used to talk about the old fashioned roller coaster (it was the kind with the wood tracks guys) and how much fun it probably was.
There was one Thanksgiving that I was at his house and his wife at the time made dinner....the turkey was so dry that nobody could eat it. He leaned over to me and made a crack about how it was the consistency of sawdust. Made me giggle so hard. We ended up having the side dishes for dinner...and Grandpa ordered pizza :)
He always sent me the same birthday card every year....signed "Love, Grandpa and Pepper" It was a light blue card w/ flowery pink writing on the front and inside. There was a picture of a little black cat on the front. Surrounded by white and pink fabric.
There was one outfit in particular that I remember and will forever associate with him....blue jeans, a red flannel shirt and those tan work boots (like the ones worn by construction crews).
On the nights that I stayed with him...I brushed my teeth with his toothpaste. Pepsodent....and he would sing the jingle while I brushed.
Old Spice....the cologne that he wore.

Grandpa was (and still is) my Father Figure. He will forever be the best "dad" I could have ever had. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him.....not a day goes by that I don't miss him.

I still eat Oreos and have a fascination for old roller coasters. I love black labs and evening walks. The smell of Old Spice makes me smile. I have a dragon tattoo and have named him Puff. And now, that I have my own holiday traditions, I worry about my turkeys being too dry. So far that hasn't happened.

2 comments:

Divaeva said...

This post made me smile and pause to think ...thank you!

SpiritWings said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing those presious memories of your Grandfather. Your post touched my heart and made me smile.
Wishing you and yours a blessed Samhain.