Friday, October 15, 2010

Blog Action Day: Water and my appreciation of it


October 15th is Blog Action Day. A day that bloggers across the world unite about a common topic in order to bring awareness to the general public (ie..anyone who reads a blog somewhere) about an important issue. This year's topic is: Water.

People everywhere are blogging about Water. They are blogging about the fact that it's not as renewable of a resource as everyone seems to think. They're blogging about ways to reduce, reuse, recycle, and conserve (not an 'R', I know, but still an important thing). The fact that we have it at all is a wonderful thing. Especially given the amount of pollution that goes on in the United States alone. Not too long ago I stumbled upon a website that actually shows pictures and graphs of the pollution in our oceans. It's disgusting people....truly. I think it's unbelievable the number of people in the world that have just ceased to care about our environment. Our true home. It's a sad situation all the way around.

Today....I will blog about Water. However, instead of blogging about the typical topics surrounding water, I will be blogging about my appreciation of water. My deep-rooted love of the life-giving fluid. For the simple fact is....I love water.

As most of you know...I'm a Pagan. I was born under an Air Sign (Gemini) but for pretty much my entire life, I have always been attracted to water. It's an awesome thing. It can be calm and steady (pools, lakes, the water in your cup) or it can be a destructive force to be reckoned with (storms, the ocean, etc). I find it all amazing. Water is like a woman....you're always in for a surprise and you never know when it will change.

At least once a month, I like to go sit by a body of water and soak in the quiet, the solitude, and the spiritual vibes I get in order to renew and refresh myself. On a daily basis....showers. They are wonderfully refreshing. I treat everyone like a mini spa day. On a hot day...a cold glass of ice water is like heaven on earth. On a cold one...a nice cup of coffee or a steaming pot of tea is sheer bliss. I can make a leisurely swim in a pool become a state of euphoric ecstasy. I love water that much and it breaks my heart that people don't respect it.

So please, the next time you go to toss that plastic bottle, cigarette butt, food wrapper, newspaper (the list goes on and on), or anything else onto the ground, remember that you are slowly but surely killing the environment and polluting our oceans. Unless there is some change in this world there will be a day when the children of your children will not be able to enjoy the beaches around the world as we do. They will be too polluted to go into and enjoy. And that would be a damn shame.

3 comments:

WhisperingWriter said...

I'm a Gemini too :)

Rue said...

Just wanting to let you know I left an award for you on my blog - if you are into that sort of thing... Cheers!

The Blue Faerie said...

The lakes around Madison have gotten that way. I had friends that started a midnight skinny dipping group my last year of college. Several of us told them no simply for the reason that we wanted to keep dry and keep our math education. The lake has been getting more and more polluted from the run-off that pours into it every year.

And I love water too - especially when it's warm and bubbly and just right for me and my swim suit. :P